Being from Cali, I have an interest in what goes on there. Nonetheless, you know how much I love movies, so I'd thought I'd share some things to check out if you are close by.
The LA Film Festival runs from June 14-24. There are some great things to check out, including the opening night film, Woody Allen's To Rome With Love and Soderbergh's Magic Mike as the closing film. There's even a program that will be presented by Danny Elfman where he chooses clips from various movies that feature his most favorite pieces. How cool is that?
But I'm straying from what I wanted to share. There are free community screenings! Hey, it's free and a fun way to see a film with your children if they have never seen it. The list of films that will be hosted for community screenings this year are:
• E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) – (DIRECTOR Steven Spielberg WRITER Melissa Mathison PRODUCERS Kathleen Kennedy, Steven Spielberg CAST Henry Thomas, Drew Barrymore, Dee Wallace, Robert MacNaughton, Peter Coyote) – Steven Spielberg’s classic tale of a kind-hearted little alien who miraculously befriends a precocious young boy remains as touching, delightful and inspiring today as it did when it first premiered thirty years ago.
• Dirty Dancing Dance-A-Long – (DIRECTOR Emile Ardolino WRITER Eleanor Bergstein PRODUCER Linda Gottlieb CAST Patrick Swayze, Jennifer Grey, Jerry Orbach) – Celebrate this romantic, music-packed classic with an evening of audience participation under the stars. We’ll dance, laugh, and reminisce as Swayze reminds us all that “nobody puts Baby in the corner.” Produced in cooperation with Dance Camera West and Grand Performances.
• G-Dog – (DIRECTOR/PRODUCER Freida Mock FEATURING Greg Boyle) – A look at Father Greg Boyle, aka G-Dog, as he and his Homeboys and Homegirls struggle to keep one of the country’s leading gang intervention programs afloat during troubling economic times. ★ World Premiere
• The Invisible War – (DIRECTOR/WRITER Kirby Dick PRODUCERS Amy Ziering, Tanner King Barklow) – In this devastating exposé of injustice, Academy Award-nominated documentarian Kirby Dick uncovers the epidemic of sexual abuse that pervades America’s military system, in which over 500,000 US soldiers have been victimized.
• LUV – (DIRECTOR Sheldon Candis WRITERS Sheldon Candis, Justin Wilson PRODUCERS Jason Michael Berman, W. Michael Jenson, Gordon Bijelonic, Datari Turner, Joel Newton, Common, Derek Dudley CAST Common, Michael Rainey Jr., Dennis Haysbert, Danny Glover, Charles S. Dutton, Michael Kenneth Williams) – Boasting stellar performances, Sheldon Candis’ feature directorial debut is a riveting portrait of a young boy learning some harsh truths at the side of his uncle, who has recently been released from prison. Project Involve Screening.
• Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) – (DIRECTOR Nicholas Meyer WRITERS Jack B. Sowards, Nicholas Meyer PRODUCER Robert Sallin CAST William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Walter Koenig, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, Kirstie Alley, Ricardo Montalban, Paul Winfield) – When a long-forgotten enemy reappears, thirsty for vengeance, Captain Kirk takes the helm of the USS Enterprise once again in this action-packed fan favorite of the long-running franchise.
I don't know about you, but I like free. Just make sure to find out in advance how they will be distributing tickets for the free screenings. You can reach the box office by calling 1-866-FilmFest (1-866.345.6337)