Also, not every movie makes it out this way to Hawaii and most of the time I simply just have to wait for it on DVD or Netflix instant streaming (which I have to say I'm sorta obsessed with.)
Anyhoo, let's begin. My list is in the order that the movie came out. Not of awesomeness.
Here is my Best of 2010
1) Shutter Island directed by Martin Scorsese. Release date February 19, 2010.
I'm not sure if you know this, but I have a "deep" affection for Martin Scorsese. So I might be biased but overall, I think he did a fabulous job with this psychological thriller. I still don't understand the ending!!
2) How To Train Your Dragon directed by Dean DeBlois. Release date March 26, 2010.
The film had pretty descent 3D effects and a great story, that was even funny at certain points. I don't know what it was about this film, but it really touched me. Plus, Toothless reminds me of my dog, Lily. (*Whispers* I like this better than Toy Story 3... shhh)
3) Letters To God directed by David Nixon. Release date April 9, 2010.
Based on a true story, this is a Christian film about a little boy diagnosed with cancer, who is inspired to write letters to God. Curse them for making me cry so hard my nose was swollen shut! Let's be honest, it's like watching a "Lifetime" channel movie, but the message is pure and wholesome and I can't knock a film that is trying to inspire hope and positivity.
4) Eat, Pray, Love directed by Ryan Murphy. Release date August 13, 2010.
I'm not sure why there is a backlash against this film but I happen to think it was beautiful. I'll tell you what. Screw mortgages and expensive car payments and anything that will tie me down. When my kids are older and the dogs are dead (yes, I said dead). I'm leaving! And if my husband wants to come, I'll let him. Don't tell me you don't dream about traveling the world? Who doesn't? Great story and Julia made it all the more palatable.
5) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I directed by David Yates. Release date November 19, 2010.
Let's be honest. Every Harry Potter film has delivered in telling its tales and has been nothing but brilliant. I'm happy but sad, as we draw near the final installment in this very long magical epic ride.
6) Black Swan directed by Darren Aronofsky. Release date December 3, 2010.
Last but not least, the BEST FILM of 2010; Black Swan. Normally, I have issues with Natalie Portman. Though she did great in V for Vendetta, she had zero chemistry in the Star Wars films with Hayden Christiansen. So, it's been hard for me to picture her as being "sexy". But she brought it. Not only did she do a great job lusting for her dance instructor, but she did a great job being eerily attracted to her co-star Mila Kunis. There was some believable lesbian action going on there. What can I say, if you haven't seen the film. Go see it. It is scary, sexy.
Not Quite "Best Of" but I thought were pretty damn good:
Remember Me, Released March 12, 2010. (Rob Pattinson, enough said)
The Runaways, Released March 19, 2010. (Joan Jett rocks)
Iron Man 2, Released May 7, 2010. (Love Robert Downey Jr.)
Cyrus, Released June 18, 2010. (So weird, but hypnotic and strange)
Eclipse, Released June 30, 2010. (David Slade did a great job)
Legends of the Guardians; the Owls of Ga'Hoole. Released September 24, 2010. (Spectacular visuals)
Life As We Know It, Released October 8, 2010. (Hilarious)
Red Hill, Released November 5, 2010. (Ryan Kwanten, yes please)
Due Date, Released November 5, 2010. (More Downey!)
Chronicles of Narnia; Voyage of Dawn Treader, Released December 10, 2010. (I love you Jesus, I mean Aslan)
I should mention, I did not get to see these films: The American, Inception, King's Speech, Social Network, True Grit, The Town, and Leaves of Grass. So I'm sad because I suck and these films were probably awesome.
Now for the not-so-hot. The overrated. My "Ehhh" list. (Disclaimer: You should always see the film, regardless of what someone else tells you. I would never tell you to NOT see a film.)
1) Percy Jackson & The Olympians; The Lightening Thief. Released on February 12, 2010. Based on a popular book series, I was very disappointed in the movie. It pales in comparison to other films in its genre. Maybe it was the acting... dunno.
2) Alice In Wonderland. Released on March 5, 2010. The 3D graphics were non-existent and even though the Red Queen was spectacular, I did not like Burton's take on The Mad Hatter. Sorry guys, didn't work for me.
3) Hot Tub Time Machine. Released on March 26, 2010. I had high expectations for this film and it only delivered a few laughs. I think Rob Corddry's character was just a total ass, didn't find him funny at all.
4) Prince of Persia; The Sands of Time. Released on May 29, 2010. I had issues with Jake Gyllenhal playing Dastan. Are there supposed to be Caucasians in Persia? I'm just asking. Is it so hard to cast Arabs in these type of roles? Besides that, the movie was okay. I think if casting was done better, this movie would have been just as entertaining as "The Mummy" was the first time I saw that film in the theatre.
5) Wall Street 2; Money Never Sleeps. Released on September 24, 2010. This movie was hella long and should have ended a half hour before it did. Anti-climatic and overall boring. Not at all, a come back film.
So, my list of Best of 2010 is not quite up to LA Times or Eberts, or let's face it, most film critics. But I hope I've inspired you to see at least some of the great films that have been released this year.
Here's to 2011 and I will see you all at the movies.